5 Interesting Facts About VIijender Singh
Vijender Singh became the WBO Asia Pacific Super Middleweightc Champion last night, after defeating Australia's Kerry Hope convincingly. Vijender now remains unbeaten since becoming a proffessional boxer, this time by unanimous decision, even though his reputation as the ‘Knockout King’ took a backseat.
It was also his toughest fight yet, stretching to the maximum 10 rounds at the end of which he was as drained as his opponent.
A young man at 31 has succeeded in not only bringing India pride by all his accomplishments worldwide but has also managed to earn fame in Bollywood and in one of MTV’s was famous show (Roadies) .
But as they say, there is a tale in every story. Here we are with our quick five facts about Vijender Singh that will leave you spellbound.
1. Punjab Police found 29 kg’s of heroine and other drugs at his NRI house in Chandigarh. Yet somehow he was given a clean chit in 2013 by the National Anti Doping Agency.
2. A director in 2011 refused to cast Vijender Singh for his movie because he was married. The director thought he would not be popular amongst the females.
3. He has worked for Bollywood actress Priyanka Chopra to protect her from the crowd in a rally in Pune.
4. In 2009 Vijender Singh signed a contract with Percept, which was the second most highly paid endorsement deal ever signed by a sportsperson in India who was not a cricketer.
5. Vijender Singh is the only person apart from Mary Kom to have won the Rajiv Gandhi Khel Ratna award.
- Meher Sethi